Who We Are
First United Methodist Church Missouri City started in 1963 with 87 members. Those 87 members soon grew to be a vibrant, growing congregation at our first location on Present Street. The first service in the sanctuary at that location was Easter 1966. Over time, the congregation grew beyond the capacity of that location, and eventually relocated to the corner of Lexington and FM 1092 in 1996. The vision for the church grew out of a desire to meet the needs of a growing, changing community, and that continues to be the heartbeat of our church today. Currently over 700 people call FUMCMC their church home.
First UMC Missouri City is a part of the United Methodist Church, a global denomination with more than 11 million members worldwide.
- God is one, revealed in three persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- God created the world and is sovereign over all the universe.
- God is loving and we can experience God’s love and grace.
- Jesus Christ is the Son of God who came to save the world. God became human in Jesus of Nazareth; and his life, death and resurrection demonstrate God’s redeeming love.
- Jesus was fully human and fully God.
- The Holy Spirit is God’s present activity in our midst. When we sense God’s leading, God’s challenge, or God’s support or comfort, it’s the Holy Spirit at work.
- Humans were created in the image of God to love and be loved.
- The Bible is God’s word and is the primary authority for our faith and practice.
- The Church is the body of Christ, an extension of Christ’s life and ministry in the world today.
We celebrate two sacraments at First UMC Missouri City: baptism and communion. Sacraments are an outward and visible sign of God’s inward and spiritual grace, where the intangible reality of God’s grace touches our lives in tangible ways. We baptize both infants and adults, and because baptism is a sign of God’s inclusion in the family of God, we only baptize an individual one time. We celebrate communion on the first Sunday of every month and all are welcome at the table.
As a United Methodist Church, we are a part of the Texas Annual Conference, a regional gathering of United Methodist congregations.
Pastors who have served our congregation include the following lead pastors:
- William (Bill) F. Roberts, 1963-1965
- Ferd D. Dawson, 1965-1969
- Ben Chamness, 1969-1978
- Jewel McClure, 1978-1979
- Walter L. McPherson, 1979-1985
- T. Mac Hood, 1985-1988
- David A. Hutchins, 1988-1990
- Earl “Howdy” Dawson, 1990-1993
- Charles R. Greene III, 1993-1994
- Richard Burnham, 1994-2005
- Lynne Settlemyre, 2005-2013
- Marty Vershel, 2013-2020
- Elizabeth Duffin, 2020-present